2009/06/21

19HP 42" ZTR Tractor


I own the version of this mower sold at Lowes, which they no longer carry (I now know why). Only difference is a 17.5HP engine versus the 19HP, so they could sell it for $400 less. The experts give this rave reviews, but I doubt they ever used one other than on a parking lot. Zero turn? Not! Even on dry pavement this rig has trouble turning. Upon studying other Zturns, I can see this is a poor design with very poor weight distribution. Simply put the weight is well forward of the rear axle, thus this thing handles like a rear wheel drive car in mud. When turning, all the driven wheels do is spin like they're on ice. (Try it on the driveway and you will only burn rubber) The front casters have too much weight and do not swivel easily.

Other poor design elements include a light weight sheet metal skirt along the front of the mower that bends easily if you happen to bump into a tree. Once bent, it locks the front casters so they won't swivel. You can bend it back out, but why should you need to? This is the only ZT I've seen with this dumb feature.

If you want your lawn to have crop circles, this is the one for you. Frequently when turning the deck will dig in and scalp the lawn. And never back up, you are guaranteed to dig the grand canyon.

Oh, and did I mention this thing sounds like a 20 year old beater with no muffler. Yep, they put an el cheepo on it. My 20in push mower is quieter, as is my chain saw, blower, etc. You get the picture. I live where everybody has a ZT, and all I hear from my neighbors is the sound of the blades cutting grass. This thing will deafen you if you don't wear hearing protection.

I've mastered using it, to turn you must come to a complete stop, then very slowly advance the outboard control. It also helps to lean towards the outboard wheel to give it a little more traction.

All in all a $800 lawn tractor from Sears would do a better job, and for a lot less money. You've been warned. Oh! Almost forgot, all the plastic junk on this rig cracks and falls apart. Nice.
Buy 19HP 42" ZTR Tractor!

No comments:

Post a Comment